Pages

March 14, 2012

The beginning of the end

As the winter semester of fourth year drags to an end it has been difficult for many of us to remain motivated with the knowledge that we're moving on to bigger and better things. Coming to Mount Allison was a great decision and as demonstrated in my grad school acceptances it has served me quite well. Despite appreciating my courses this year I and everybody I've spoken to is eager to be done and move out of undergrad and onto the next phase of life. There is a lot I'll miss about Mount Allison but all good things must come to an end.

Three weeks from Thursday is the very last undergraduate class most of us will take. Two weeks from then and final exams will be over and we will be free from worry. Three and a half weeks from that and we'll be crossing the stage at convocation hall and our four-year journey will be over.

Despite this sense of inevitability there's a need to stick through everything. It somewhat reminds me of the 2008 US Presidential election. In late October many believed Obama would win easily so he needed to remind his supporters to not "get too cocky" and stick in until the end. It's the last ten minutes of an hour-long basketball game and we're ahead by 20 points. The end is in sight but if you drop your guard all that hard work may be for naught.