Pages

June 20, 2011

Summer: Communications at Mount Allison, Amnesty International, Argosy, ATLIS, and NPR

I realize it has been a while since I wrote a large update. I've been very busy working at Mount Allison University's Communication Office. It has so far been a great experience and I'm just now getting into the main project of the internship this summer which is creating video content for the school. I'll be sure to write what I can about that but probably not before it appears on the Mount Allison Homepage.

I've also been busy working to prepare Amnesty International Mount Allison for this year's activities. As President, I represented the group at this Amnesty International Canada's Human Rights College and Annual General Meeting.

For more information visit our website, Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for information on human rights campaigns and group activities.

I've also been working on helping update the Argosy website. Updates should go live over the summer.

I uploaded the Spring 2011 ATLIS Journal: Alternative Solutions For A Sustainable Future online. I've been updating the website including the introduction of this year's theme for the Conference and Journal:
Revolution: Reforming Structures and Rethinking Perspectives. We have not yet made a call for abstract submissions but you can see last year's as a guide if you want to prepare early.

I also uploaded video from last year's conference, including this controversial presentation about the 2007 International Economic Crisis and Keynote Speaker Ian Smillie's address: "Blood Diamonds: Cutting Edge Lessons in Sustainable Development" and his lecture on becoming a career global activist.

I'm going to be volunteering for Amnesty's Demand Dignity Campaign at the U2 Concert on Magnetic Hill in Moncton. Concert organizers are hoping for 100,000 people to attend, which would make it the biggest music event in the Maritimes ever. We should be able to get a lot of signatures to petition the government of Nicaragua to help prevent the sexual violence against women and girls which is widespread in the country.

This weekend I'm going to Charlotte Country, New Brunswick. I may or may not have photos to share when I return.

As I said back in May, I'm very busy this summer so I will not be writing as prolifically as in summers past. However hopefully by the end of the month I will have a new video up about how the reaction to the video explaining how I made NPR's Facebook page has helped change my life.

That may seem a bit exaggerated, but the response encouraged me to create more videos about the school and explore social media further. Doing that undoubtedly helped me land the job I have now where I help educate staff about effective social media use, which in turn has had a big impact on what I see myself doing after graduation. I suppose it will be part video resume, part biography, but mostly a video to thank NPR for helping add a fire to my interest in social media and rethinking what I really want to do with my life after I walk across the stage at Convocation Hall and receive my Honours B.A. in International Relations from Peter Mansbridge in 329 days.