April 19, 2009

Document Requirements to enter Canada after June 1, 2009...

...do not change. But, with the implementation of the WHTI, it is a moot point and you will need a WHTI travel document...unless you don't plan on leaving Canada...ever.

See the information below from connect2canada.com:

Border Travel Update:
New Document Requirements as of June 1, 2009

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) have announced that as of June 1, 2009, U.S. law will require Canadian citizens to present either a valid passport or another accepted travel document to enter the U.S. by land and water. Canadian citizens aged 15 and under will be able to present a birth certificate or a citizenship card instead of a passport when travelling to the U.S. by land and water.

Current U.S. law already requires Canadian citizens to present a valid passport to fly to, through or from U.S. byair. Under this law, the NEXUS card is also an accepted travel document when used at a NEXUS kiosk at participating Canadian airports and at all U.S. airports when returning to Canada. This requirement applies to alltravellers, regardless of age, including children.

The passport is the recommended travel and identification document for all Canadian travellers.

Travel to the United States

  • On January 31, 2008, the United States ended the practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship at the border. All Canadian adult travelers are now required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, and proof of identity, such as a driver's license, when entering the United States through land and sea ports of entry.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older are required to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, AND proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or citizenship card.
  • Children ages 18 and under are currently only required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel by land and water.

For complete travel document requirements for Canadian citizens travelling to the United States by air, land or water visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Travel to Canada

  • Entry requirements to Canada have not changed in the context of the WHTI. If you are a Canadian citizen or a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID.
  • If you are flying to Canada from the United States, under U.S. law you are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card to board the plane.
  • If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you.

To view the complete requirements, please visithttp://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1196711811270.shtm.

For information on the June 1, 2009, requirements, please visithttp://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206634226418.shtm.

To apply for or renew a Canadian passport, visit thePassport Canada website.

No comments:

Post a Comment